You do not have to provide your personal information to us, but if you do not provide certain information we will only be able to provide limited services to you. The personal information that we collect when you use DiscoverDonate.com, as is the case with most websites, certain limited information (such as your browser type and IP address) will be collected by us automatically.
Opening a DiscoverDonate account
We will collect basic contact information about you to set up your account you so you can make donations. This will include your name, address and email address. We will also ask you to register a username and password so you can gain secure access to your account in the future.
Alternatively you may authorise us to collect your basic personal details from a secure online source (e.g. Google, Facebook, PayPal) to which you have already provided this information. You can find out more information about who we interact with these companies by viewing the ‘Analytics and Social Media’ section below.
If you choose to login via Facebook we will obtain access to your public profile information and email address. We will use this information to allow you to login and populate our records about you. If you give us permission (via Facebook’s preference settings) we may also obtain access to your friend list; we will only use this to see if people on your friends list are also using our website.
Information when donating
To enable us to process donations we will collect basic payment information. If you are eligible for UK Gift Aid, we may also ask you to confirm your UK home address. If you wish to claim UK Gift Aid on the donation or leave a message of support we will collect information about you as explained in this Policy.
The way we use your personal information
We use the personal information collected from our users for a number of purposes:
- administering donations made (and claiming Gift Aid, if applicable);
- personalising the look and feel of DiscoverDonate.com (as well as our communications with users) to fit personal preferences which you have told us about or which we have inferred from your usage of our website (such as donation history, and fundraising or charity page cares/likes, both on our Website and, where you have given us permission, via social networks or derived from market research);
- to help us prevent fraud associated with online payments;
- where a user or charity sets up an account, to carry out bank account verification and identity checking, including with a credit reference agency;
- providing information to charities to let them know about contributions made to their charity and project pages;
- allowing charities, not-for-profits and project creators who are registered with us to have visibility of the donations made to them so they can track the total donations (in an anonymous form, unless the donor provides appropriate permissions);
- allowing other sites to promote charities/causes/project activities from DiscoverDonate.com, to support giving to those and other activities associated them;
- where the donor provides appropriate permissions, to allow fundraisers, charities/cause and not-for-profits creators to: (i) provide that donor with more details about their activities; and/or (ii) contact individuals;
- providing service update emails regarding the DiscoverDonate service and your specific account; and
- improving the service that we offer – for example you may be asked to complete one of our online user satisfaction surveys.
At DiscoverDonate we appreciate that many donors like to make donations anonymously. We respect this, and will not publicly display your name on donations you have made on our site unless we have your permission to do so. We will pass on your donation information to our charities only when we have your permission to do so or where we are legally obliged.
Our Communication with you
Where you have indicated you would like to receive updates we may send marketing in the form of email alerts and bulletins to tell you about developments in the services available through our website, together with tips, news stories and competitions related to giving to charities and not-for-profits.
You can unsubscribe from receiving certain electronic messages by following the “unsubscribe” instructions included in our communication and you may change your preferences and cease receiving direct marketing.
Providing information to others
We work closely with a number of trusted partners with whom you grant us permission to share essential personal information that enables us to operate the DiscoverDonate service. These include:
- banks and payment providers – to authorise and complete payment transactions;
- organisations within the payment card industry to help prevent online fraud;
- law enforcement bodies in order to comply with any legal obligation or court order and, where we are otherwise requested to provide information, we may provide it but only in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws;
- HM Revenue & Customs, for example if we need to authorise claims for Gift Aid or other forms of tax efficient ways of giving; and
- Charities and not-for-profits but only as set out above.
We may also provide information to third party service providers who process information on our behalf to help run some of our internal business operations including email distribution, IT services and customer services. We will only share information with such organisations where we have your permission to do so in accordance with this Policy. You agree that we may disclose or share your personal information with such partners in order that we may operate the DiscoverDonate service.
Keeping your information secure
We invest significant resources to protect your personal information, from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, no internet-based site can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond our control.
The information and content held on our Website is deployed geographically to maximise user experience. All information that could identify individuals within the European Union is stored exclusively within the European Union. We will never share your user information with third parties for promotional purposes.
When registering with DiscoverDonate, your email address and first name will be inputted into Mail Chimp to allow us to deliver our newsletter to you. You can find out more about Mail Chimp and how they protect and process your data here.
Updating your account and preferences
Please notify us of any changes to your personal information, which you have provided to us. You can do this via updating your user preferences through your account.
Keeping your records
We keep records for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal, tax and accounting requirements. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner and, where required by applicable law we will notify you when such information has been disposed of.
Under the GDPR you have the right to find out what information we hold about you. You can exercise that right by contacting us and we will send you any request for information in a suitable electronic form within 20 working days. To make a request for information please contact email@example.com and a member of our team will be in touch.
You also have the right ‘to be forgotten’ and to have your information permanently deleted from our systems. Again, if you would like to exercise this right then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be no charge made for electronic access to your information or for your right to be forgotten from our systems.
Analytics and social media plugins
We use analytics tools on our website to provide the service you request, identify service issues to us, improve our services and to provide content tailored to users’ personal preferences and profiles. These tools may be provided by third-party service providers and may include the collection and tracking of certain data and information regarding the characteristics and activities of visitors to our website. We may disclose data, including personal information, to certain such third-party services providers in order to obtain such services. Our providers are Mixpanel and Google Analytics and the way their analytics service operates is set out in their own privacy policies. You can read Mixpanel’s statement of Privacy here and Google’s here to find out more about their offerings.
If you use buttons on our website linked to social media or similar sites (for example “Like” and/or “Share” buttons), content from our website may be sent back to that other website and, depending on your privacy settings, may be privately or publically visible (for example to friends, followers or generally to anyone who has access to your profile page). You can register with DiscoverDonate using our integrated Google, Facebook and Paypal sign up options. Google’s statement of privacy is referenced above and you can view Facebook’s policies here and alternatively Paypal’s here.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information you may contact us using at email@example.com and we will investigate your complaint.
Third party sites
If you have any questions about this Policy, or would like to exercise your rights with respect to your personal information, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org